Pantone has announced the Colour of the Year for 2015!
Drum roll please….. it’s PANTONE® 18-1438 Marsala, a naturally robust and earthy wine red shade. Think burgundy, but warmer and much more muted.
Although I’m happy to see Radiant Orchid go, I don’ know how I feel yet about this shade, one the National Post recently referred to as “a ‘tired’ burgundy experts already hate.” On the bright side, I do have to admit it does play nice with other colours in a decorator’s palette – pairing well with monochromatic mixes of peachy pinks and antiqued bronze and gold metallics. And, it lends itself well to a variety of textured applications and ombre effects.
I can definitely see it working well in the kitchen via small appliances and on the dining room tabletop, even possibly in bedding accents when used selectively. So on that note, whether you like, love, loath or aren’t sure yet how you feel about Marsala, here are a few ways to use the colour of the year sparingly around your home and in your life.
1. Floral Bloom Pillow – Cabernet, Pier 1 $19.98
2. Cable Knit Sweater Fabric Throw in Paprika by Rizzy Home, Amazon.com $75.60
3. Brick Paver Ovo Table Lamp, Lampsplus $99.99
4. PANTONE UNIVERSE Mug with Gift Box Color of the Year 2015 Marsala, Pantone $25
5. ARTDECO Ceramic Nail Lacquer in Tango Red (No.20), Shoppers Drug Mart $14
6. Marsala Felted Wool Slippers by Felt Wool Slippers, Etsy $134.91
7. Sphere Ottoman – Fabric in Urban Rust, EQ3 $349
8. Maroon Leather Bangle Stacking Bracelets by Amy Fine Design, Etsy $35.50